Houses with trade oak frames are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. It’s not surprising that a lot of homeowners are building this type of home. It’s beautifulhttp://www.house-o-rock.com durablehttp://www.house-o-rock.com and eco-friendly. Plushttp://www.house-o-rock.com it takes less time to construct as they don’t need interior walls.
But as with building a new homehttp://www.house-o-rock.com there are things a homeowner should consider:
Design of the Frame Structure
One of the primary reasons homeowners choose oak frames is its integration into the design. Howeverhttp://www.house-o-rock.com picking the right frame can be challenging. When selecting a framehttp://www.house-o-rock.com make sure you consider things like your budgethttp://www.house-o-rock.com the number of rooms you wanthttp://www.house-o-rock.com and the home style you prefer.
Materials to be Used
Give careful consideration to the materials you want to use and where. You want to make sure that you pick the best wood for the job and the right processing for the house’s structure and style. You have to decide on:
- Wood Species: Are you gunning for cedarhttp://www.house-o-rock.com oakhttp://www.house-o-rock.com pinehttp://www.house-o-rock.com or spruce? Your options regarding wood species are limited to the design you chose and the wood’s availability and cost. For examplehttp://www.house-o-rock.com red cedar and douglas fir are quite popular in Canada because it’s durable and prolific in the region.
- Processing Method: How the wood is processed affects its lookhttp://www.house-o-rock.com strengthhttp://www.house-o-rock.com and longevity. You’ll achieve better results if you use wood that is kiln-dried and thoroughly planned. You can also use green woodhttp://www.house-o-rock.com but its high moisture content will result in crackinghttp://www.house-o-rock.com movinghttp://www.house-o-rock.com and shifting as the structure ages.
Another thing to consider is how and where the timber will be used. For instancehttp://www.house-o-rock.com if you want your home to be more energy efficienthttp://www.house-o-rock.com you can either put in a gas fires Stockport chimney or limit double oak frame exposure to gable walls and the porch. Meanwhilehttp://www.house-o-rock.com aesthetic purposes have caused a lot of homeowners to opt for an oak beam that’s exposed internallyhttp://www.house-o-rock.com with complementary materials like stone and slate incorporated for a gorgeous finish.
Size of Your Home
A lot of property owners believe that room size of oak frame houses is limited to 10 to 11 meters. Howeverhttp://www.house-o-rock.com you can go for larger rooms complete with gas fires Burnley fireplaces if that’s your preference.
Wood frame houses are developed around bayshttp://www.house-o-rock.com which are a series of rectangles. These bays make up the box framehttp://www.house-o-rock.com and it’s your designer’s job to help make the most of your ideal structure. Your designer will also come up with the best orientation for your home and the proper bay and span sizes. Your designer will also work with you to establish room scalehttp://www.house-o-rock.com proportionshttp://www.house-o-rock.com loadhttp://www.house-o-rock.com and roof pitch.
Selecting a Good Builder and Frame Supplier
Designing and building an oak frame house is not generally understood by most architects and builders. Unfortunatelyhttp://www.house-o-rock.com the architectural details and careful execution are critical to ensuring the home is made with lasting quality.
Make sure you select a builder or designer who specializes in this type of construction. They should be someone who understands the bays and spans of oakhttp://www.house-o-rock.com as well as its limitations. What’s morehttp://www.house-o-rock.com these designers would also have connections to companies specializing in oak frames.
While your designer can recommend an oak frame supplierhttp://www.house-o-rock.com you are also free to look for another one you prefer. But bear in mind that oak frame companies over varying levels of service. For instancehttp://www.house-o-rock.com some would supply the materials and erect the structure while others can offer to build the entire shell. Meanwhilehttp://www.house-o-rock.com there are also companies that provide the full turnkey service.
Oak homes are admittedly pricier than conventional softwood frame structureshttp://www.house-o-rock.com but that shouldn’t stop you from picking it. You can still achieve this type of home even on a budget. What’s morehttp://www.house-o-rock.com they are compatible with any high-quality building techniques. There are also steps you can take to keep to your budget:
- Use oak in select areas like the living roomhttp://www.house-o-rock.com entrance hallhttp://www.house-o-rock.com or the master’s bedroom. You can then utilize oak beamshttp://www.house-o-rock.com lintelshttp://www.house-o-rock.com and details in the rest of the places.
- Utilize oak frames for primary structures like beams and big posts. Choose a different timber for secondary structures like joists and rafters.
- Select a Queen post truss instead of complicated brace trusses to minimize cost.
Having an oak frame house is a dream just waiting to come true. There are so many reasons to choose this type of structure. And with the right builderhttp://www.house-o-rock.com the careful consideration of materialshttp://www.house-o-rock.com and the proper designhttp://www.house-o-rock.com you will be able to enjoy and raise a family in such a home.